We provide in-reach services for children, adolescents and adults receiving treatment on acute, intensive care, forensic and rehab psychiatric wards in hospitals in London and across the UK.
Using the latest iPad music technology and apps our specially trained musicians and producers encourage patient engagement in music activites including DJ-ing, singing, MC-ing, songwriting, beatmaking, production, recording and performance. The sessions offer an accessible and energising mix of contemporary music styles including hip hop, soul, r’n’b, reggae, rock, folk, funk, dubstep and anything in between!
Patients are supported and encouraged to step up to the mic, have a go mixing on the decks, learn music technology, write lyrics, make beats, produce and record tracks or simply enjoy the sounds.
The objectives are based around social inclusion and recovery and include:
- Develop social, communication, creative, technical and vocational skills
- Rekindle ability to express feelings, make choices, take turns and respect the views and tastes of others
- Opportunity to re-engage in leisure interest and spend time with others who have a common interest in music
- Bringing patients and staff together in a positive activity
- Space to foster hope and aspirations for the future
- Signpost progression to music services in the community post-discharge
We work closely with ward staff to tailor session format and content to suit ward specialisms and patient interests. An audit after each session reviews clinical feedback, patient engagement and comments and can be included in patient satisfaction surveys.
Our approach is effective in engaging patients who may not be participating in other ward activities. It is a useful way of signposting patients to our community programme, and visits to our studio can be arranged with ward staff. Regular attendance can lead to significant improvement in patient presentation and increased ward leave and can help to contribute to care planning post-discharge from hospital.